[Development] Do we need version tags in released src packages?

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Fri Aug 13 09:42:45 CEST 2021

El divendres, 13 d’agost de 2021, a les 9:17:16 (CEST), Jani Heikkinen va escriure:
>> We are planning to simplify our packaging and releasing scripts and one
>> thing which would simplify our scripts is removal of version tag parsing
>> for src (and example) packages. So the question is if we can remove version
>> tag (-alpha, -beta1 etc) from our src and exmple packages?

Albert Astals Cid (13 August 2021 09:26) replied:
> Does this mean that alpha/beta packages would have exactly the same filename as
> the final packages?

and, more generally, what would the practical consequences of your
proposed change be ?  What would Qt-users (or indeed anyone aside from
our packaging team) see changed ?

	Eddy.