[Development] Do we need version tags in released src packages?

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Fri Aug 13 11:06:07 CEST 2021

Hi,

That was my proposal

> and, more generally, what would the practical consequences of your
> proposed change be ?  What would Qt-users (or indeed anyone aside from
> our packaging team) see changed ?
>
> 	Eddy.

Only release packages would change; no changes to files in git

* Standalone src packages in https://download.qt.io/development_releases/qt/6.3/6.3.0-beta1/single/ would be  qt-everywhere-src-6.3.0.zip instead of  qt-everywhere-src-6.3.0-beta1.zip. And main folder in the archive wouldn't contain 'beta1' either

* Submodule specific src packages in https://download.qt.io/development_releases/qt/6.3/6.3.0-beta1/submodules/ would be qt<submodule>-everywhere-src-6.3.0.zip instead of qt<submodule>-everywhere-src-6.3.0-beta1.zip. And main folder in the archive wouldn't contain 'beta1' either

There is no effect to installation done by online installer; in the installation there isn't version tag shown at all currently either.

br,
Jani