[Development] Do we need version tags in released src packages?

Albert Astals Cid albert.astals.cid at kdab.com
Fri Aug 13 13:39:38 CEST 2021

El divendres, 13 d’agost de 2021, a les 11:06:07 (CEST), Jani Heikkinen va escriure:
> Hi,

It seems a bad idea to have files with the same name and the different contents.

It can lead to all kind of confusion in which you download something, then "download the same file" 5 days later and it has a different shasum and you wonder if the mirror you downloaded something was hacked or if your computer is hacked or what happened.

Sure you can argue that the file is in a different parent folder, but for a link like
   https://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/6.1/6.1.2/submodules/qtcharts-everywhere-src-6.1.2.tar.xz
can you sincerely tell me you look at the full URL?

I will look at the domain name to see it is not super fishy and at the filename, the internet has told us that the rest is just "internal storage" decisions by the people serving the file.

Cheers,
  Albert

--
Albert Astals Cid | albert.astals.cid at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)