[Development] Do we need version tags in released src packages?

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Sat Aug 14 09:35:35 CEST 2021

On 13 Aug 2021, at 13:39, Albert Astals Cid via Development <development at qt-project.org<mailto:development at qt-project.org>> wrote:

It seems a bad idea to have files with the same name and the different contents.

It can lead to all kind of confusion in which you download something, then "download the same file" 5 days later and it has a different shasum and you wonder if the mirror you downloaded something was hacked or if your computer is hacked or what happened.

My thoughts exactly; it’s like when you download a bank statement from the bank website and it’s called something generic like document.pdf or kontoutskrift.pdf.  I always wonder why the site doesn’t create the filename on-the-fly in a way that contains the year and month, at least, because why would I download it if not to save it, at least for a while?

Unique files should have unique and meaningful filenames IMO, because nobody is reproducing the directory name when they download it, and proper metadata has always been MIA too.  It could be different if all files had resource forks and ls would show you that information, but that’s only in some parallel universe.