[Development] Do we need version tags in released src packages?

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Fri Aug 13 19:26:29 CEST 2021

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 07:17:16AM +0000, Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are planning to simplify our packaging and releasing scripts and one thing which
> would simplify our scripts is removal of version tag parsing for src (and example)
> packages. So the question is if we can remove version tag (-alpha, -beta1 etc) from
> our src and exmple packages?

This would effectively separate potentially interesting metainformation from actual
contents, so I guess this boils down to the question of who uses the source
packages for what purpose.

The problem I can imagime that people actively using the source packages (who would as
long as one can the same contents _plus_ history from git? - but there are apparently
such users?) will end up with qt-everywhere.tar.xz in their ~/Downloads and have no real
idea what this contains exactly after a few weeks time.

Does it really have an impact on the complexity of the scripts whether the -beta1
decoration is on the file name or on the directory name or both?

Andre'