[Development] Do we need version tags in released src packages?

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Fri Aug 13 17:10:48 CEST 2021

Il 13/08/21 09:17, Jani Heikkinen ha scritto:
> In my opinion we don't need those; packages are always released in proper release folder (likehttps://download.qt.io/development_releases/qt/6.2/6.2.0-beta2/) and so on it should be quite obvious in which pre-release packages belongs to. Official release are already without any version tag so removing those from development releases shouldn't matter either. But does someone disagree and if yes why?

What are the advantages of such an approach? If you're preparing N files
in a version-release/ directory, is it a "problem" that the files are
also called version-release.whatever...?

I can see many disadvantages, including having N files with identical
names but very different content (alpha, beta, rc, final), which could
become super-confusing (incl. the already mentioned security concerns,
say when checking the files' hashes).

Thanks,

KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts