[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Feb 15 18:53:03 CET 2021

On Monday, 15 February 2021 01:18:16 PST Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> > To be clear:
> > 1) the binaries from Qt company must also perform this step
>
> Why? The installer doesn't place binaries into some shared system directory.

Ok, so long as #2 is done.

> > 2) the documentation has to be updated to include the "6" at the end too
>
> I disagree.

This is required. We must teach people to use a set of command-lines that
works everywhere. Therefore, the documentation and tutorials about user-public
tools should advise them on the commands that work everywhere.

> Qt's target audience can be split in two groups.
>
> 1. Experienced developers. And I don't even mean Qt-related experience.
> They're able to figure out to press TAB twice in the shell after typing
> just "designer<CR>" didn't have the desired effect.
> It's likely, they've been exposed to python before, you know.

Agreed.

> 2. Inexperienced developers. They open their desktop search tool of
> choice and type in "designer", get (perhaps several) hit(s) and choose
> the right one. They don't even see the oh-so-confusing binary name.

Fair enough too, though that one is actually more difficult. Just look at what
happens when I search for "Proxy" in the attached image. Granted, if I search
for "designer" I get an option saying "Qt 5 Designer" so at least our
solutions are in the right direction: use the major version number in our
descriptions.

> Maybe you could elaborate why you deem this so important or point to
> some place in the documentation where we can see the danger of user
> confusion. Until then, my position is that we're arguing about a non-issue.

See above.

I don't care about the tools that aren't meant to be user-visible, because
most users won't care about them. Those who do will know how to find them
anyway.

I'm only worried about qmake6, qml6, qtdiag6 and the others that are meant to
be user-facing. I can even excuse qml6 and some of the other tools, but I
insist on qmake6 and qtdiag6. Documentation must mention the "6".

If you want to document "try qmake6 and if that doesn't work try qmake", I'm
fine. I think that's a mistake, but I'm fine with it.