[Development] The sorry state of the Qt6 cross compile experience

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 09:04:54 CET 2021

Hi BogDan,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021, 12:30 BogDan Vatra via Development <
development at qt-project.org> wrote:

> - first and foremost, we need to waste time to **fully** build and install
> it
> for host platform (desktop). Yeah, I know that this was "decided" before
> TQC
> switched, overnight, to cmake, but let's face it, it's a BS needed to
> cover
> the fact that cmake can't build more than one platform at once.

We had the requirement to enable exactly that to stop wasting time in the
CI. This would have need to be met by any buildsystem used for Qt6.

<snip>

No need to discuss implementation details ...

- IMHO the qmake build files were removed prematurely ... they should be
> removed **after** cmake matched qmake.

Making the old build system match the new one was never a goal.

Less maintenance effort was a goal, as was improving common use cases and
not making less important use cases impossible.

Having said that, I truly believe that cmake is a big step backwards.
> Am I the only one who's bother by all these things?

Some people always end up unhappy when you change things -- and when you do
not change things. Sorry that you ended up on the unhappy side!

We have a huge elephant in the room which nobody want to see it...

If that is your biggest concern about Qt right now: Lucky you.

Best Regards,
Tobias