[Development] Commercial-only LTS phase starts: Closing the 5.15 branch(es) on 5th January

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Tue Jan 5 21:18:57 CET 2021

On 1/5/2021 1:02 PM, Adam Light wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 7:56 AM Volker Hilsheimer
> <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io <mailto:volker.hilsheimer at qt.io>> wrote:
>
>     Apart from that: is Qt 5.15.2 really so broken that people can’t use
>     it without getting more patches?
>

> I can't speak to 5.15 as we decided not to upgrade since it's not a real
> LTS release (we do not believe we are eligible to purchase a commercial
> license), but the minor fixes that come later in LTS releases (5.9 and
> 5.12) have often fixed problems our users have reported in our
> application, particularly on macOS. Due to behavior changes in different
> Qt minor versions (again, primarily on macOS), we typically change the
> Qt minor version only when we release a new major version of our
> application (~every 2-3 years).
>
> LTS releases have been critical in our successful use of Qt, and I am
> not sure what will happen moving forward.
>
> Adam

Hear, hear.  Stuck on 5.12 here.

Working on OS projects, commercial is not even an option, and resources
(e.g. for testing/fixing on every new Qt release) are very limited
(read: one person often does everything). E.g. testing one app on 5.14.1
yielded 3 breaking Qt issues which had to be fixed upstream, and mostly
didn't make it into .2 either. LTS (after like a .3 or so update) is the
only way to go IMHO, the others are for testing/playing.

I'm so sick of "scheduled releases come hell or high water" in the
programming world (in general, not just Qt).  The quality is (usually)
crap.  Once upon a time this release quality was called
Alpha/Beta/Preview/NFP (not for production).  Qt6 has literally been
called as being "primarily" for testing/feedback.  That's a new major
release now?  /further rant aborted

Sorry, I'm only passionate about it because I love what Qt does and I
love when it does it well and consistently.  Everyone who's helped make
it that way is my hero, thank you!

-Max