[Development] Commercial-only LTS phase starts: Closing the 5.15 branch(es) on 5th January

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:46:50 CET 2021

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 22:22, Max Paperno <max-l at wdg.us> wrote:
> I'm so sick of "scheduled releases come hell or high water" in the
> programming world (in general, not just Qt).  The quality is (usually)
> crap.  Once upon a time this release quality was called
> Alpha/Beta/Preview/NFP (not for production).  Qt6 has literally been
> called as being "primarily" for testing/feedback.  That's a new major
> release now?  /further rant aborted

No worries, I for one understand the frustration. I should point out,
though, that
there are Seriously Bad Examples where programming projects that were expected
one day to pay their bills were operating in a "we'll ship it when
it's ready", which
unfortunately meant that those projects never felt the need to
stabilize anything
in order to make things shippable. And "it's always ready to ship" is
a laughable
fairytale.

Balancing that is non-trivial. Scheduled releases require rather
little extra management,
because everybody knows when the release preparation phases begin and
what that means.