[Development] Qt6 repo

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 13 17:28:42 CET 2021

On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 05:37:21 PST Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> * stop using git submodules
>
> Using them serves no real purposes anymore. We anyway have our own scripting
> in form of init-repository to avoid that people have to deal with that
> stuff.

Please don't. In fact, I recommend the opposite: delete the Perl script and
use submodules properly.

I do use "git pull --recurse-submodules", "git submodule update", "git
submodule foreach", etc. often.

> The super-module, if we want to have it at all, can then be just the single
> .gitmodules file. It might be relevant for the release team, and for those
> of us who prefer to work with git submodules for… reasons. Ok, so I’m not a
> fan of git submodules. Either way, it avoids the mixing “real code” (like
> build system and coin configs) and submodule updates in the same
> repository, which has historically caused an unfortunate entanglement of
> unrelated things.

That works for me.

The primary and official way to build Qt is each submodule individually, with
"make install" in sequence. The merged content in a single build is secondary
and a convenience anyway.

PS: do uninstalled builds even work with CMake? That was a (mis)feature of
tmake and qmake...