[Development] Qt6 repo

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Thu Jan 14 12:03:01 CET 2021

> On Jan 14, 2021, at 11:08, Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Jan 2021, at 22:58, André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:

>>> There's no such thing.
>>
>> You are telling me my day job doesn't exist?
>>
>>> Any *product* is built with released versions of Qt, which means you
>>> must have exactly the same releases of each module. No other
>>> combination is supported.
>>
>> I am not asking for *support*. I am asking how to find a recent working
>> combination of Qt modules that I need for porting some code base to
>> Qt 6. Don't tell me to use 6.0 nor to wait for some 6.x.
>
> Our CI system should prevent that a change to a dependency.yaml file merges that results in multiple dependencies to several conflicting versions of any upstream library.

That might be, but ...

> If a change to qttools/dependencies.yaml file adds a dependency to qtdeclarative:A and qtbase:B, but qtdeclarative:A depends on qtbase:A, then your change won’t merge (Coin will fail during provisioning).

In case of modules that are in a single dependency chain (qttools, qtdeclarative and qtbase) you can still find working SHAs by using the “leaf” qttools as a base.
If you now add another module (e.g. qt5compat), this can then require a different qtbase SHA to build.

Exactly this situation occurred multiple times to me during (even late) Qt6 development.
qt5.git integrations are the only “guaranteed” collection of SHAs that build.

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH