[Development] API Change Review for 6.2

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 6 17:48:36 CEST 2021

On Tuesday, 6 July 2021 08:29:04 PDT Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 05/07/2021 12:54, Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> > We have gotten review of the modules with larger number of changes
> > progressing well, but a few modules are still without comments.
> >
> > With the Alpha out and Beta 1 soon ready to be released it is time to
> > complete the API review so that we have the agreement upon what to do
> > before release of Qt 6.2.0.
>
> Given the API review isn't finished, may I ask what are the criteria for
> moving a release from Alpha to Beta to RC to full release?
>
> It used to be that
>
> Alpha = review the API;
> Beta = review the implemetation;

tl;dr: there's a one-step delay.

Alpha releases are *published* so we can get feedback on the API. And while
beta releases are *published* to get feedback on the implementation, that does
not mean we can't get feedback on the API. We can still fix the API all the
way up to the final release.

The alpha release (singular) used to be "once feature complete", but we've
been making multiple releases because, despite feature freeze, some things
simply don't work properly at the feature freeze time. So we keep making them
until one release does. Once we conclude the release is working sufficiently
to get feedback on the implementation as well as API, we call it "beta".