[Development] Version-controlling the SVGs of built-in icons

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Fri Jun 18 11:40:06 CEST 2021

Hi Volker.

I've been adding source SVGs for PNG icons in the module itself in the case of qtquickcontrols2:

mitch at mitch-ubuntu-20:~/dev/qt-dev/qtquickcontrols2$ find . -name "*svg"
./tests/auto/qquickiconimage/icons/testtheme/appointment-new.svg
./examples/quickcontrols2/wearable/qml/Settings/images/theme.svg
./examples/quickcontrols2/wearable/qml/Settings/images/demo-mode.svg
./examples/quickcontrols2/imagine/automotive/icons/automotive/icons.svg
./examples/quickcontrols2/imagine/musicplayer/icons/musicplayer/icons.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/up-icon-thick-square.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/crumb-separator-icon-round.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/file-icon-round.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/up-icon-square.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/folder-icon-square.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/file-icon-square.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/up-icon-round.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/imagine/filedialogdelegate-background.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/crumb-separator-icon-square.svg
./src/quickdialogs2/quickdialogs2quickimpl/images/folder-icon-round.svg
./src/quickcontrols2/material/images/drop-indicator.svg
./src/quickcontrols2/material/images/arrow-indicator.svg
./src/quickcontrols2/doc/images/qtquickcontrols2-control.svg
./src/quickcontrols2/doc/images/qtquickcontrols2-popup.svg
./src/quickcontrols2/fusion/images/arrow.svg
./src/quickcontrols2/fusion/images/progressmask.svg
./src/quickcontrols2/fusion/images/checkmark.svg

I would vote for keeping the icons in the modules where they're used. Ideally that would be next to the generated images, as that makes it easy to find them and is an easy convention to follow.

I'm not sure how many designers use Git to be honest. Most of my interactions with designers have involved exchanging files through email/chat/file hosting. If they are using Git though, I wouldn't think it would matter too much where the files are, because that still needs to be communicated up front before the work begins.

Cheers.