[Development] Raising minimum CMake version to 3.16 for Qt6

Kyle Edwards kyle.edwards at kitware.com
Wed May 5 22:52:52 CEST 2021

On 5/5/21 1:58 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> 3.16.0 was tagged on Nov 2019, which is a little too close for comfort. For
> comparison, we require GCC 8, which was released in May 2018.
>
> However, given that no one has apparently complained and that upgrading cmake
> is far easier than the compiler, I have no objections.

CMake upstream here. We recommend always using the very latest patch
version of CMake, since it is backwards compatible and can
(theoretically, bugs notwithstanding) build CMake projects written for
any earlier version of CMake. You are correct that upgrading CMake is
generally easy, though it admittedly may not be feasible if you insist
on sticking with the version provided by the distro (though we do
provide Ubuntu .deb builds of the latest version.)

Kyle