[Development] Raising minimum CMake version to 3.16 for Qt6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 5 23:27:31 CEST 2021

On Wednesday, 5 May 2021 13:52:52 PDT Kyle Edwards via Development wrote:
> CMake upstream here. We recommend always using the very latest patch
> version of CMake, since it is backwards compatible and can
> (theoretically, bugs notwithstanding) build CMake projects written for
> any earlier version of CMake. You are correct that upgrading CMake is
> generally easy, though it admittedly may not be feasible if you insist
> on sticking with the version provided by the distro (though we do
> provide Ubuntu .deb builds of the latest version.)

Hello Kyle

Always using the latest is a good recommendation. The question is the minimum
we can reasonably require the users to have installed. Upgrading is easy, but
it's not as way as "$PKGCOMMAND install cmake" (where PKGCOMMAND is apt-get,
zypper, dnf, yum, opkg, whatever), so requiring a version higher than the one
users are likely to have creates a barrier for entry.