[Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Wed May 19 17:52:22 CEST 2021

Le mercredi, mai 19, 2021 5:24 PM, Shawn Rutledge <Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io> a écrit :

> > On 2021 May 19, at 17:14, Carl Schwan <carl at carlschwan.eu> wrote:

> > > The mandatory question is always the same: which ones?
> > >
> > > Do they have goals, policies, end-user agreements that are compatible
> > > with a free software project? Do they have strong privacy requirements? Etc.
> >
> > Matrix is a nice alternative. It's free software, with strong privacy
> > requirements (E2EE encryption for private chat and rooms, only need a user id + password
> > to register, ...). Also there is currently at least 7 clients written in Qt:
> > Nheko, NeoChat, Spectral, Quatermion, Kazv, Mirage and Fluffychat (Ubuntu touch edition).
> >
> > Disclaimer: I'm a co-maintainer of one of the client listed above (NeoChat).
>
> But which server then?  Should we run our own?  What if the admins don’t want to?  Maybe we should just use the KDE infrastructure?  Then I wonder if any changes there are on the way.

One of the advantages of Matrix is that it's federated so you can have a room
called #qt-labs:kde.org on KDE matrix server and in case someday Qt wants it's
own server, it is perfectly possible to add a new alias #qt-labls:qt.io to the
existing room and use it as main alias without having to move the existing users
to a new room.

Note that it would probably be a good idea to ask first to the KDE matrix admin
before using KDE matrix infra :)

Cheers,
Carl Schwan
https://carlschwan.eu