[Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu May 20 14:18:19 CEST 2021

Hi,

On 20/05/2021 13:47, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021, at 8:16 PM, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development wrote:
>> * there's no registration required;
>> * the $newthing has proven stability, staff, resources, etc., and won't
>>    disappear in a few months/years;
>> * ...
>>
>> then anything is fine.
>>
>> All other things being equal, the simplest measure would be to simply
>> move over to Libera. (...)
>
> Can Libera already be considered so quickly? A fork of a software is not so easy
> as the "fork" of a service, isn't it? We don't know if they will disappear in a
> month, or if Freenode will be fixed by then. Or if another "fork" appears.

Sure, that's a fair question.

Personally,

1) I trust the staffing (coming from Freenode);
2) I trust the organization being entirely under EU law (it's in
Sweden), with a strong privacy policy;
3) I trust it not disappearing tomorrow; most of the sponsored servers
are switching from Freenode to Libera, and many big projects are moving
there (e.g. Ubuntu just voted in favor. Of course none will move
overnight, just like Qt isn't moving overnight; decisions +
practicalities will take some time).

> Also, I don't understand how not having to register can be a requirement at all,
> given that one needs to register, sometimes multiple times, to use some of the
> other official channels. E.g. to participate in the mailing list I of course
> need to subscribe to it, and to get an email account at all I would either need
> to register with some provider or use a work email address (or self-host or...).

Or self-host, indeed. But nothing apart from your email is needed, and
that email is NEVER used for any commercial or marketing or research
purpose. Which is the same requirement for the mailing lists. It might
not be the case for some 3rd party services.

> If at all, not requiring registration makes me more concerned about spam,
> trolling, harassment, etc.

Which you can easily ignore (see user mode +g, +R). None of this has
been a major problem on Freenode so far.

> I have my own biases after going through many pains to have a modern-ish IRC
> experience (self hosting Quassel, using IRC bouncers, etc.). I hope that the
> current active community of people on IRC doesn't get alienated if something
> else is chosen, but I also hope that something with proper features is chosen so
> I can be back online on those communities, because my paste experience with IRC
> makes me not want to go there again unless really needed.
>
> FWIW, I'm now on other IM platforms, and all of Matrix, Telegram, Mattermost and
> even Discord seem to have acceptable IRC integration, and some open source
> projects treat both sides of the integration as official channels. People seem
> to be aware of it, and the friction between the two feature sets and "idioms" of
> the platform are more or less respected. So a middle ground is possible as well.

Sure, but this doesn't bring an answer to the original question:

* Is the Qt community OK at staying on Freenode? (Currently it has an
*official* presence! Although noone seems to know better, esp. who is
the primary contact for this presence. Looking at the channels
registrations, the founders are Thiago, ossi, tronical, JP-Nurmi, but
that doesn't necessarily match who is the point of contact.)

* If no: does it wish to move to another IRC network -- to where?

* If no: does it want to drop its official IRC presence? Implication:
the #qt* channels namespace will be released, and so up for grabs by the
first person passing by and registering channels in there.

Lacking some formal voting infrastructure, how do we take this vote?
I'd say, KISS: please reply to this email and express your preference.

Thanks,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts