[Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Thu May 20 15:18:47 CEST 2021

Hi,

> On 20. May 2021, at 14:18, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> Lacking some formal voting infrastructure, how do we take this vote?
> I'd say, KISS: please reply to this email and express your preference.

In my opinion this is a good opportunity to move away from IRC to something more modern.

I am no stranger to IRC, but I think we can do better. Attracting new contributors with something more fancy looking has already been mentioned.

Given that KDE is using Matrix, I think it seems like a natural idea to join their network, which would bring us closer and hopefully facilitate more collaboration. I don't expect a few additional qt channels will overload their network.

Matrix is open source, has Qt based clients, has modern features, and if push comes to shove, can bridge with IRC.

There's even https://matrix.org/docs/projects/client/weechat-matrix for a more IRC-feel to using matrix.

I'm fine with other solutions like Discord, Mattermost, Riot, Zulip, etc, as well, but some of them might be a harder sell due to various reasons.

Being closer to KDE sounds like a win to me.

My 2 cents.