[Development] Renamed: Running a service for Qt community

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Fri May 21 12:41:13 CEST 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 at 17:18, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:

> Anyway, these issues aren't insurmountable, apparently they can be changed
> with the stroke of a pen. (Where is Qt's Open Governance? - still think I
> misunderstood what that was about)

Since TQC alone can decide that the Qt Project won't release Qt 5.15.3+
without consulting the mailing list and going through the lazy consensus
decision process, I think it's safe to say that Open Governance is dead.

> **What would the next milestone be? Not Qt6. It's just a version. I'd like
> to see Qt take on the web, the pieces are there, with WebAssembly and
> QHttpServer. The web meanwhile has gotten more Qt-like with webpack and
> other compilation-step tools. I think this would really embiggen the Qt
> community, but the release practices would have to be brought inline with
> like, say Node's:
> https://nodesource.com/blog/understanding-how-node-js-release-lines-work/
> which means no commercial-only LTS releases, or releasing an incomplete
> major version.

QHttpServer and WebAssembly are GPLv3 only (like all new modules and
platform support).
So they will only get traction from commercial users or GPLv3 projects.
TQC is cutting itself from all LGPL users who will simply use one of the
many other http servers available under a more permissive license, or even
just drop Qt and switch to standard web techs which are more mature that Qt
WASM.

On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 10:18, Joerg Bornemann <joerg.bornemann at qt.io> wrote:

> 1. In the glorious days of Trolltech and Qt 3.3.3, the Windows port, for
> example, of Qt was commercial-only. The open-source part of the dual
> license was GPL. Contributions from outside the company were nearby
> non-existent.

And now:
- all new modules and supported platforms are Commercial/GPLv3 only.
- Qt 5.15.3+ is commercial only

It looks a lot like "the glorious days of Trolltech and Qt 3.3.3"
Can we conclude that contributions from outside the company are going to
be nearly
non-existent?