[Development] Avoiding ads and/or Google for doc searches (was: Changes to Freenode's IRC)

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Fri May 21 13:27:30 CEST 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 at 01:40, Kai Köhne <Kai.Koehne at qt.io> wrote:

> [...]
Jason H
> > Sent: Wednesday, 19 May 2021 17:26
> > To: giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
> > Cc: development at qt-project.org
> > Subject: Re: [Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC
> >
> > * Before you laugh, and say that is crazy, consider that the online Qt
Docs search results now have ads:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/search-results.html?q=camera shows 4 ads for me.
And I don't know of any other toolkit who serves their documentation with
ads. Take for example mozdev:
> > https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/search?q=camera shows 0 ads. React,
0 ads. I figure it's only a matter of time until the actual documentation
pages have ads too. (There may be good reasons for ads, but it's still not
a good look.)

> It's true that the embedded search on doc.qt.io sometimes shows ads. But
it's not the result of evil TQtC making heaps of money with ads. It's just
a side-effect of using google for embedded search, and has been like that
since years (if not decades)  ... We have actually recently started to look
into it (again), see https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTWEBSITE-723 if you
want to get updates.

For those who want to avoid ads and/or the Google search engine, consider
the Qt Doc Search browser extension.

Features:
* Initiate searches from any browser tab; no need to navigate to doc.qt.io
first
* Search a specific version of Qt or a specific tool (Qt Creator, Qt Design
Studio, GammaRay, etc.)
* Choose your search engine (default: DuckDuckGo)

User links:
* (Chrome/Edge)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/qt-doc-search/gfigdpnkjnilcielpnmfmdnnbloabjoh
* (Firefox)