[Development] Renamed: Running a service for Qt community

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Fri May 21 14:49:01 CEST 2021

On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 14:32, Joerg Bornemann <joerg.bornemann at qt.io> wrote:

> On 5/21/21 12:41 PM, Benjamin TERRIER wrote:
>
> > And now:
> > - all new modules and supported platforms are Commercial/GPLv3 only.
>
> Which is very different from commercial-only.

Please don't cut half of what I said to make me say something I did not say.
You said  that during Trolltech times that Qt Windows was commercial only
and the open source part was under GPL (not LGPL).

I said, without being truncated:

> And now:
> - all new modules and supported platforms are Commercial/GPLv3 only.
> - Qt 5.15.3+ is commercial only

So we have some parts that are commercial only, and some parts that are
open sourced only under GPL (not LGPL).
Given that this no LGPL policy is applied to all new modules (except Qt 3D
which was made by KDAB) and all new platforms,
and that all LTS are commercial only,
the part of Qt that is commercial-only or GPL-only is only going to grow.
Meaning that Qt as a whole in the future might look a lot more like the Qt
from Trolltech than the Qt from Nokia.