[Development] New Qt Multimedia

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Thu May 27 08:14:04 CEST 2021

> On 26 May 2021, at 17:30, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:
>
> Exciting!
>
> Are there any plans to officially support the GStreamer backend on Android down the line (with building GStreamer as an acceptable exercise left to the user) or would work in that direction be appreciated by the module maintainer?

I don’t think I want to officially support it right now, but build fixes to make it work and selectable on Android are welcome.

> At KDE, we have a couple of apps that use GStreamer API directly in conjunction with gst-qmlsink, as GStreamer enables some advanced pipelines not functionally supported by Android's native media framework (e.g. RTP without RTSP). Naturally, using Qt Multimedia is far more ergonomic than mixing GStreamer's C API into the code, however.

The one thing I want to avoid is what we had in Qt 5, where you could force Qt MM to use a different/custom gstreamer pipeline based on environment variables. That part made maintaining the code base extremely hard. Other than that I’m of course open for patches and improvements. If some integration points are needed, we can discuss those separately, but unless they are trivial, they will probably need to wait until after 6.2.

Cheers,
Lars