[Development] New Qt Multimedia

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu May 27 14:25:27 CEST 2021

May 27, 2021 8:14 AM, "Lars Knoll" <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:
> The one thing I want to avoid is what we had in Qt 5, where you could force Qt MM to use a
> different/custom gstreamer pipeline based on environment variables. That part made maintaining the
> code base extremely hard. Other than that I’m of course open for patches and improvements. If some
> integration points are needed, we can discuss those separately, but unless they are trivial, they
> will probably need to wait until after 6.2.

Hmm - does that mean the `gst-pipeline:` URL scheme for `setMedia`/the `source`
prop is getting dropped as well?

If memory serves right, this was possible accidentally at some point and then
was raised to the status of Official Footgun in 5.12+:

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmediaplayer.html#setMedia

A potential troublemaker for sure, but also very powerful. With QtGStreamer
being deprecated (an old set of Qt bindings to GStreamer API - also something
at least one KDE app I'm aware of still carries an internal fork of, sadly),
a QtMM w/ custom pipeline support sort of the next best thing.

Best regards,
Eike Hein
-
KDE e.V. vice president, treasurer