[Development] New Qt Multimedia

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Thu May 27 14:35:24 CEST 2021

> On 27 May 2021, at 14:25, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:
>
> May 27, 2021 8:14 AM, "Lars Knoll" <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:
>> The one thing I want to avoid is what we had in Qt 5, where you could force Qt MM to use a
>> different/custom gstreamer pipeline based on environment variables. That part made maintaining the
>> code base extremely hard. Other than that I’m of course open for patches and improvements. If some
>> integration points are needed, we can discuss those separately, but unless they are trivial, they
>> will probably need to wait until after 6.2.
>
> Hmm - does that mean the `gst-pipeline:` URL scheme for `setMedia`/the `source`
> prop is getting dropped as well?

That’s correct. It’s has honestly been a huge cludge, and something we didn’t have anywhere else. I’d rather see that we fix issues inside Qt MM instead of working around them with hacks such as this one.

> If memory serves right, this was possible accidentally at some point and then
> was raised to the status of Official Footgun in 5.12+:
>
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmediaplayer.html#setMedia

Footgun is probably the right name for it, and a reason I don’t want to continue with it for Qt 6.

> A potential troublemaker for sure, but also very powerful. With QtGStreamer
> being deprecated (an old set of Qt bindings to GStreamer API - also something
> at least one KDE app I'm aware of still carries an internal fork of, sadly),
> a QtMM w/ custom pipeline support sort of the next best thing.

Lets rather have a look at the use cases that people want to have supported and how we can get those working.

Cheers,
Lars