[Development] moc output from non-local tool build

Marius Kittler mkittler at suse.de
Wed Nov 10 12:29:15 CET 2021

Am Dienstag, 9. November 2021, 19:59:29 CET schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> On Friday, 5 November 2021 08:28:20 PST Scott Bloom wrote:
> > Why wouldn’t they simply have two versions of Qt ( or more) the one they
> > are targeting for desktop, and the previous one they are targeting for
> > android/"remote"
>
> I don't mind that. If we enforce you must have a matching version of the
> host tools, then we do it.
>
> Since I don't cross compile, people who do should speak up and explain why
> it would be too difficult for them to have a native build of the same
> version of Qt they're going to cross-compile.
>
> Silence will mean consent.

It would of course be possible to conduct a 2nd host build which would only be
updated in accordance with the cross-builds. I suppose it would also be
possible to strip this 2nd build down to "tools only" by specifying some CMake
variables. It also needed to be installed within a different prefix to avoid
conflicts with the normal host build.

However, it would certainly be more efficient and less packaging work to
simply be able to reuse the normal host build which is already in the
distribution. So it would just make packaging easier.