[Development] moc output from non-local tool build

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Tue Nov 16 11:54:15 CET 2021

On 11/15/21 5:41 PM, Marius Kittler wrote:
> Am Montag, 15. November 2021, 16:46:31 CET schrieben Sie:
>> On Monday, 15 November 2021 05:52:46 PST Joerg Bornemann wrote:
>>> There's already a target called host_tools to build the necessary tools.
>>> An install target/component for it is missing though, see QTBUG-91243.
>>
>> Which tools does it build and which libraries does that need?
>
> I suppose it needed to build *all* tools which might be called at some point
> during compilation including tools provided by further repositories like
> qttools and qtshadertools because this is not for bootstrapping-only but for
> having all the tools available Qt consists of when cross-compiling. That means
> likely also building all Qt the libraries these tools depend on (e.g. Qt Core,
> Gui and ShaderTools libraries for `qsb`). So in the end the build wouldn't be
> *that* minimal but it would still be better than having to build everything.

Correct.  The target "host_tools" is building all "tools" but not the
"apps", i.e. all executables that are added with qt_internal_add_tool
but not the executables that are added with qt_internal_add_app.  All
necessary dependencies, libraries and plugins are built too.

Any module that is not used by any tool won't be built.  YMMV whether
the hassle is worth it dependending on use case and work-flow.  Feedback
is appreciated.

As mentioned, a proper installation component is missing, but you can
use a non-prefix build as "host only build".

Cheers,

Joerg