[Development] Proposing to move deploy tools to qtbase

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 25 17:03:37 CET 2021

On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 00:40:14 MST Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> The patches that do the move are here:
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/382055
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qttools/+/382099
>
> Please review.

Belated -1 after testing. Can I ask that it be reverted?

This has broken the cross-compilation from Linux to Windows, which is the only
way I can develop for Windows while in the pandemic and without access to a
proper Windows machine.

When cross-compiling:

-- Searching for tool 'Qt6::windeployqt' in package Qt6CoreTools.
CMake Error at cmake/QtToolHelpers.cmake:156 (message):
  The tool "Qt6::windeployqt" was not found in the Qt6CoreTools package.
  Package found: 1
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  src/tools/windeployqt/CMakeLists.txt:6 (qt_internal_add_tool)

Because during the tools build:

ninja: error: unknown target 'windeployqt'

I don't need deployment from Linux in order to develop and it looks like
people who have been using cross-compilation have worked around this issue. So
I'll accept that the error above be removed, without adding the new
functionality. Looks like passing -DFEATURE_windeployqt=OFF solves this, can
someone confirm?

Ideally, windeployqt would compile as a host tool on Linux and work. But
that's new development.