[Development] Proposing to move deploy tools to qtbase

Marius Kittler mkittler at suse.de
Thu Nov 25 17:21:58 CET 2021

Am Donnerstag, 25. November 2021, 17:03:37 CET schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 00:40:14 MST Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> > The patches that do the move are here:
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/382055
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qttools/+/382099
> >
> > Please review.
>
> Belated -1 after testing. Can I ask that it be reverted?
>
> This has broken the cross-compilation from Linux to Windows, which is the
> only way I can develop for Windows while in the pandemic and without access
> to a proper Windows machine.
>
> I don't need deployment from Linux in order to develop and it looks like
> people who have been using cross-compilation have worked around this issue.

Yes, like mxedeployqt or using static linking.

> So I'll accept that the error above be removed, without adding the new
> functionality. Looks like passing -DFEATURE_windeployqt=OFF solves this,
> can someone confirm?

At least when it was still in qttools that worked, e.g. https://github.com/
Martchus/PKGBUILDs/blob/15f921fb0cd412c148117faae508ce56d84762bb/qt6-tools/
mingw-w64/PKGBUILD#L41

Judging by the code, the move has likely *not* changed that.

> Ideally, windeployqt would compile as a host tool on Linux and work. But
> that's new development.

Yes, last time I've checked windeployqt it wasn't cross-platform.