[Development] Proposing to move deploy tools to qtbase

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 25 19:43:30 CET 2021

On Thursday, 25 November 2021 09:21:58 MST Marius Kittler wrote:
> > I don't need deployment from Linux in order to develop and it looks like
> > people who have been using cross-compilation have worked around this
> > issue.
>
> Yes, like mxedeployqt or using static linking.

macdeployqt is less of an issue because there's no good toolchain for cross-
compiling to a Mac. Apple does not provide the sources for their ld64 linker,
for example. I don't know if lld is a good replacement. Besides, they fork
LLVM at an arbitrary point in the branch and may patch it.

> > Ideally, windeployqt would compile as a host tool on Linux and work. But
> > that's new development.
>
> Yes, last time I've checked windeployqt it wasn't cross-platform.

BTW, there's a new COFF-PE parser in src/corelib/plugins/