[Development] Qbs development

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Thu Sep 16 01:06:55 CEST 2021

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 12:40:37AM +0300, Иван Комиссаров wrote:
> 15 сент. 2021 г., в 14:03, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de> написал(а):
>> for example, he plainly admits that his documentation doesn't match
>> the code.
>
>That’s not true.

for it not being true you're making a _remarkable_ effort to establish
that it would be _just fine_. ;)

>And if it is, feel free to submit patches, if you want the perfect
>documentation

it's not about perfect docu, it's about docu that even remotely matches
the actual behavior. your argument was that my criticism of your patch
is unjustified because the code actually does what i'm asking for, even
though the docu _clearly_ says something else.

i don't actually care which it is, because either one justifies a -1.

> I am not interested in translating from C++ to English in order to
> mention every small detail about implementation

are you aware of point 1.1 of the qt commit policy?
(and yes, qbs' documentend behavior is equivalent to qt's api in that
regard.)

> (which you chose not to review despite being directly asked to do so.
> Several times).

that's entirely correct. i refuse to review code (which takes an order
of magnitude more effort to do properly) when the documentation already
tells me that what the code does is wrong. that's *reasonable*.

>The rest of the community is not interested either.

which is quite unfortunate. but at least they are not the maintainers.

>It is not boring, it is irrelevant to the patch - I haven’t done any
>global changes to the patch in a YEAR constantly pleasing you desire to
>discuss the bigger picture.

it's funny that you say that, because the very existence of the property
whose precise semantics we're debating so hotly now is actually wholly
my idea, and it took me long enough (that aforementioned year) to
convince you that it is a necessary and good one (the review logs refer
to it as QBS-61, prior to factoring it out to QBS-1604).

you have also convinced me of two things just recently, so you know it's
possible if you just do it properly.