[Development] Use of new asymmetric / hybrid CPU architectures in Qt for more energy efficiency

Vladimir Minenko vladimir.minenko at qt.io
Fri Apr 8 10:12:29 CEST 2022

Hello all,

with the introduction of the new Apple Silicon, Apple brought the concept of low power, efficiency cores to the market.

For a while, Apple provides APIs for application developers to provide hints to the OS about the role and type of work done in different threads in an app. They call it Quality-of-Service (QoS) Classes. See https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-93946

Windows 11 seems to support this in a different form on Intel CPUs:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/guide/alder-lake-developer-guide.html

Apparently, the Linux kernel 5.18 is going to get support for Intels Thread Director which would do the same on Linux:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-thread-director-coming-to-linux-5-18

https://9to5linux.com/linus-torvalds-announces-first-linux-5-18-kernel-release-candidate

I think it would be a great new feature in Qt to support efficient computing in a cross-platform way!

Maybe we can also co-work with KDE and make one more step in their Blue Angel initiative!

https://invent.kde.org/teams/eco/blue-angel-application

Have a nice weekend!

--
Vladimir Minenko