[Development] Policy on updating translatable strings in patch releases

Alex Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Fri Apr 22 16:30:51 CEST 2022

I don't know of any written down rule stating the exceptions around the string freeze. This might be due to the very limited impact of such a break.

> Do we treat situations like this as a bug and make an exception (though extra
> effort will be required for translations in patch releases to have Qt fully
> translated) or do we limit such patches to 'dev' only?

I'd answer this with common sense. The impact of breaking string freeze on user code is extremely low. English is a rather common language.
If a string change is due to a bug (especially wrong error string) let's go for the string freeze break. I think all of us have had applications throwing up some English error code/description in otherwise translated applications.

I would not consider it justified as part of a bug where we change a UI element to have a nicer label or description. Maybe I lack imagination, but I cannot think of a string freeze break reason other than an error code.

--
Alex