[Development] Policy on updating translatable strings in patch releases

Mårten Nordheim marten.nordheim at qt.io
Wed Apr 20 15:45:59 CEST 2022

Hello development and localization!

I'm wondering about the policy on updating translatable strings in patch-releases.
Our policy, as far as I know, only says that updating these strings should not happen for a
release after string-freeze. However, recent bug-reports[0] have revealed that some changes made
in Network triggers pre-existing error messages which are wrong given the new code, causing
confusion for users.

This is why I am hoping to update and clarify these messages[1]. But since they are translatable
(and this is long after string-freeze for 6.3 and even longer for 6.2) I was wondering if we have a
policy (formal or informal) in place for this.

Do we treat situations like this as a bug and make an exception (though extra effort will be
required for translations in patch releases to have Qt fully translated) or do we limit such
patches to 'dev' only?

Mårten

[0]: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-101939
[1]: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/403997