[Development] QFreedesktopApplication

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 24 19:43:09 CEST 2022

Ilya Fedin wrote:
>> On another note, just what is org.freedesktop.Application? There are
>> ZERO references to it on freedesktop.org. If this isn't well-defined,
>> should we adventure into it? If this is a D-Bus API, then the
>> questions above about accessing the interface and implementing the
>> server side of it apply: can we have it without a front-end API?
>
> It's a part of the Desktop Entry Specification[1]. It's used by most
> gtk & KDE applications. gtk ones use GApplication, KDE ones use
> KDBusService.

So if Qt implements the same D-Bus interface using GApplication, will that
not break the KDE applications that use the existing KDBusService?

> Well, the point it's not just org.freedesktop.Application. GApplication
> also provides multiple notification protocol implementations and
> integration between them and the o.fd.Application spec (as I mentioned
> before). It's the main reason I need GApplication as libnotify is really
> outdated and there's no other alternative (except of KDE libs-dependent
> KNotifications and implementing all the specs by hand which are not
> real alternatives IMO). GApplication provides implementations of
> multiple nice specifications at once and integrates them, so I thought
> why not to use it when it's available...

And why is using the KNotifications framework not an option for you? Yes, it
depends on a few other KDE frameworks, so what? Do we really need to
reinvent all KDE frameworks functionality within Qt?

        Kevin Kofler