[Development] Licensing of qtbase

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:17:47 CEST 2022

On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 at 13:05, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:

> https://www.qt.io/product/features?hsLang=en#js-6-3 lets you see the
> individual components of Qt and what license they are available as.

That's some high level of FUD and BS.
If I select LGPLv3, all Qt tools are greyed out (moc, qmake, Qt Creator,
etc.).
Sure these tools are themselves not licensed under LGPLv3, but nothing
prevents them from being used for LGPLv3 projects.

Ang given the text at the top of the page:

> Please select a [...] license model, [...] programming language to see,
> what items are available for that selection.

it will clearly make some people think that one cannot use these tools with
LGPLv3 projects.
Especially because when selecting a language it will filter based on which
languages can be used with a tool, not which languages a tool is
developed with.

Anyway, I think the easiest way to get info about Qt license is
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/licensing.html for general information and
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtmodules.html#gpl-licensed-addons for checking
modules that are not available under LGPLv3.

BR
Benjamin