[Development] Proposal: let's change the release schedules a bit

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Dec 7 12:48:49 CET 2022

Hi!

> Jani: what is the problem with that calendar interval's present length ?
We need ~13 weeks (real working time) from the feature freeze to the final release. Currently we have holidays during that period and so on we need to reserve much longer calendar time for that. E.g. with Qt 6.5 this time is planned to be a bit more than 15 weeks and with Qt 6.4 it was a bit more than 16 weeks.
For me this hasn't been a problem at all but I have heard some other opinions as well; someone wants to finalize new things during holidays and someone isn't that much in holiday e.g Christmas time. For those this would give few weeks extra implementation time between the releases...

>>  I would sooner move the schedule half a month earlier - November FF for February release, May FF for August release - and accept the calendar interval between the two.
Unfortunately this isn't good option; finalizing the "summer" release would be done during summer holiday season and it won't work. For winter release this could work...

And please note: I am not proposing to move Qt 6.5 FF; It will stay 9.12.2022 as planned. But this would be something for Qt 6.6 ->. But like I wrote above this isn't anyway mandatory for me, just a proposal. If most of us prefer the existing frame then let's just continue with that :D

br,
Jani