[Development] Proposal: let's change the release schedules a bit

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Mon Dec 5 16:16:45 CET 2022

Ivan Solovev (5 December 2022 14:42) wrote:
> Also, as a developer, I personally find it good that we have FF before
> the holidays. Because having it right after the holidays would anyway
> mean that I need to have everything ready before the holidays. But
> I'll just have less time for that.  I can imagine that the Release
> Team has different opinion, though.

I have a sneaking suspicion Jani's idea is that, with no holiday between
an August FF and October release, it may be possible to narrow the
interval between them.  However, for January to April there is a holiday
intruding, Easter, which isn't even at a fixed point in the calendar
from one year to the next.

Like Ivan I do not relish the prospect of a FF shortly after a holiday;
it would mean getting back from a holiday to a frantic rush to get
things finished up, the anticipation of which might hang over the
holiday.  I would sooner move the schedule half a month earlier -
November FF for February release, May FF for August release - and
accept the calendar interval between the two.

Jani: what is the problem with that calendar interval's present length ?

	Eddy.