[Development] Using QtCreator for Qt development

EXT Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Mon Dec 12 11:30:30 CET 2022

[...]
> > also view all unit tests there, debug, fix, build and run selected directly and
> so on?
>
> I think the only well-supported Qt configuration is with QT_BUILD_TESTS=ON
> and QT_BUILD_TESTS_BY_DEFAULT=ON. Or are there CMake variables to
> turn individual test on for the build?

Владимир, I use these configure args:

-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DFEATURE_developer_build=ON -DQT_BUILD_TESTS=ON -DQT_BUILD_TESTS_BY_DEFAULT=OFF -DQT_BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON -DQT_BUILD_EXAMPLES_BY_DEFAULT=OFF -DFEATURE_sanitize_address=ON

The test and example-related ones will ensure that you can build tests and examples (in Creator), but by default they won't be built, which saves a lot of time.

I use Alt+B,Alt+R ("Build for Run Configuration") to build the currently selected/active (the target that comes up when you hit Ctrl+T) test, as building the top-level qtdeclarative project won't do that with the configure args above.

> Anyway, with both on, you can just choose a test to run & debug. It looks like
> our autotest integration (the separate "Tests" panel) takes ages looking for
> tests, but running tests directly as normal run configurations works fine.

For what it's worth, I disable the AutoTest plugin, and use application arguments to run specific test(s) instead.