[Development] Challenge: adding new method overloads when existing consumers use {} with args

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 28 22:54:48 CEST 2022

[resent with my subscribed address, which means it won't arrive in kde-devel]
[cross-posting to Qt dev ML - dunno if it'll arrive because I'm subscribed
with different addresses]

On Wednesday, 27 July 2022 14:54:55 PDT Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> And has no-one else yet run into this problem? E.g. Qt, anyone seen them
> adding new overloads, what did they do there, if?

This case can be considered a Category B source incompatible change as per
https://quips-qt-io.herokuapp.com/quip-0006.html, because it clearly
introduces ambiguity.

But {} is particularly special, so I don't know how we'd deal with it. I don't
think this has come up for us yet. For one, the mailing list thread linked in
the QUIP didn't address it.