[Development] QPushButton: drag and drop

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue Jun 7 20:43:52 CEST 2022

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 3:26 PM David Skoland <david.skoland at qt.io> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is their problem if they have started relying on a bug.
>

> I don’t think this is a good way to approach this. When programming with a
> framework, you program based on the current behavior of that framework,
> regardless of what the “correct” behavior is supposed to be. I think it's
> pertinent to pull an insightful quote from Linus Torvalds here:
>
> “If it’s a bug people rely on, it’s a feature”

If your intention is to strengthen the argument for the bug with a famous
(or infamous, depending on one's point of view) personality, like Linus, or
anyone else, then I can say that it does not work for me. Just like it does
not work for the Darwin followers that Darwin rejected his idea on his
deathbed. That is because they are convinced by the idea objectively rather
than a personality, whose judgement can be subjective.

> Don’t get me wrong, this is definitely a useful discussion (thanks for
> bringing it up), but as I see it in light of Qt’s compatibility promises,
> drastically changing drag and drop behavior looks like a Qt7 point that
> should be further discussed. I personally think Shawn’s proposal seems very
> sensible at a glance.
>
> If I recall correctly, there was a list of major behavior changes for Qt6.
> If we decide to change this behavior, this point should probably be added
> to the Qt7 equivalent if one exists, in addition to an eventual porting
> guide.

Yes, I also suggested something similar on Discord to Volker, as far as I
can tell, that Shawn / Giuseppe before coming here for a discussion. It
does not look that it would warrant Qt 7 though. What makes you think so?

I personally think that not emitting the clicked signal, which was the
original concern, but releasing the widget would satisfy everyone here in
this discussion.