[Development] QPushButton: drag and drop

David Skoland david.skoland at qt.io
Tue Jun 7 16:26:19 CEST 2022

Hi,

It is their problem if they have started relying on a bug.

I don’t think this is a good way to approach this. When programming with a framework, you program based on the current behavior of that framework, regardless of what the “correct” behavior is supposed to be. I think it's pertinent to pull an insightful quote from Linus Torvalds here:

“If it’s a bug people rely on, it’s a feature”

Don’t get me wrong, this is definitely a useful discussion (thanks for bringing it up), but as I see it in light of Qt’s compatibility promises, drastically changing drag and drop behavior looks like a Qt7 point that should be further discussed. I personally think Shawn’s proposal seems very sensible at a glance.

If I recall correctly, there was a list of major behavior changes for Qt6. If we decide to change this behavior, this point should probably be added to the Qt7 equivalent if one exists, in addition to an eventual porting guide.

Cheers,
David Skoland