[Development] Remaining tools in CMAKE_INSTALL_BINDIR

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 7 18:52:16 CEST 2022

On Friday, 7 October 2022 02:11:53 PDT Jörg Bornemann via Development wrote:
> These are user-facing, equivalent as defined by you to their Qt 5 version:
> 	lconvert
> 	lrelease
> 	lupdate
>          qdoc (I assume that its output is usable by Qt 5)
> 	qmleasing

Agreed. qmleasing needs --help.

> These are user-facing, not equivalent to their Qt 5 version - or there
> are no Qt 5 versions:
> 	androiddeployqt
> 	qt-cmake
> 	qt-cmake-standalone-test
> 	qt-configure-module
> 	qml
> 	qmlscene
> 	qmllint
> 	qmlls
> 	qmlpreview
> 	qmlprofiler
> 	qmlformat
> 	qmltime

Then they need to be built with INSTALL_VERSIONED_LINK to the CMake command
qt_internal_add_app().

> These seem user-facing, but I cannot answer question 2:
> 	balsam
> 	balsamui
> 	instancer
> 	materialeditor
> 	shapegen
> 	qsb
> 	shadergen
> 	qtplugininfo

qtplugininfo cannot read Qt 5 plugins because it uses QPluginLoader to
actually parse the metadata. So it needs INSTALL_VERSIONED_LINK. Rewriting it
to decode the Qt 4.x, 5.0-5.11, 5.12-6.2 and 6.3 plugin metadata formats is
possible, but I don't think anyone will invest the time.

I don't even know what instancer does:

$ ~/obj/qt/installed/bin/instancer --help
Could not read instance table --help
$ ~/obj/qt/installed/bin/instancer --version
Could not read instance table --version
$ ~/obj/qt/installed/bin/instancer
Usage: /home/tjmaciei/obj/qt/installed/bin/instancer INFILE [OUTFILE]

Are you sure it's user-facing?