[Development] Remaining tools in CMAKE_INSTALL_BINDIR

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Oct 13 18:30:06 CEST 2022

On Thursday, 13 October 2022 02:31:49 PDT Jörg Bornemann via Development
wrote:
> qt-cmake is to be called by users to configure their projects.

Yup, but then it needs the suffix so that two builds of Qt 6 (or later one of
Qt 7) can be installed in parallel and the user/developer can select which one
it is.

> qt-cmake-standalone-tests and qt-configure-module are supposed to be
> called by Qt developers.  Like you wrote, these scripts are useful too
> if you're developing/building a Qt module against a Qt that's provided
> by the Qt installer.  It's quite convenient not having to adapt/copy
> them from a developer build.
>
> For Linux distros, I don't quite see the usefulness for these two
> scripts.  Should we maybe have a "distro build" where those scripts are
> not installed?

Makes sense, but I'd argue for opt-in to having them, instead of opt-out of
excluding them. We Qt developers would know about that option.

And can that option simply be -developer-build?

For any of us who may need a non-developer-build to test or build against,
replacing those scripts is simple, if inconvenient. They just call qt-cmake
with a few extra options.