[Development] Remaining tools in CMAKE_INSTALL_BINDIR

Jörg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Thu Oct 13 11:31:49 CEST 2022

On 10/7/22 19:19, Thiago Macieira wrote:

>>> qt-cmake
>>> qt-cmake-standalone-test
>>> qt-configure-module
>
>> Then they need to be built with INSTALL_VERSIONED_LINK to the CMake command
>> qt_internal_add_app().
>
> Does it make sense to have those in a non-developer build? I could see someone
> using either qt-cmake or qt-configure-module with a non-developer build to test
> something or to build another module respectively, but they're simple shell
> scripts and could be copied/adapted from a handy developer build. Or we can
> build them in qtbase but just not install them.

qt-cmake is to be called by users to configure their projects.

qt-cmake-standalone-tests and qt-configure-module are supposed to be
called by Qt developers.  Like you wrote, these scripts are useful too
if you're developing/building a Qt module against a Qt that's provided
by the Qt installer.  It's quite convenient not having to adapt/copy
them from a developer build.

For Linux distros, I don't quite see the usefulness for these two
scripts.  Should we maybe have a "distro build" where those scripts are
not installed?

On Friday, 7 October 2022 09:52:16 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:

 > Then they need to be built with INSTALL_VERSIONED_LINK to the CMake
command
 > qt_internal_add_app().

For qtbase, I've added INSTALL_VERSIONED_LINK to the deployment tools:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/438015
Not that it matters much for mac and windeployqt, but consistency.

For the qt-cmake-private files I've filed
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-107621

--
Jörg Bornemann | The Qt Company