[Development] Do we need VS2019 for Qt 6.6?

Vladimir Minenko vladimir.minenko at qt.io
Thu Feb 2 16:38:26 CET 2023

Hi,

I’m sorry to say, but from my perspective, this change cannot be done in 6.6. I think 6.7 is better. And this is why.

I just had a look at the anonymous telemetry data which is sent from Qt Creator. There is a setting for this where you can turn it on and off. So the below numbers cover only those users who use Qt Creator for builds and have telemetry on.

In 2022 and 2023, around 24M builds ran on Windows in around 600K unique installations worldwide which had at least 10 builds in this period of time. Not even a single one used MSVC2022. The most widely installed is MSVC2019 v29 followed by v28. Most installations (around 250K) are on Qt 6.2. Qt 5.15 has around 60K installations.

Statistically, it would be correct to conclude that none of the MSVC2022 users had turned telemetry on or that all MSVC2022 users use Visual Studio and not Qt Creator. But the above numbers are still telling us that we will disappoint a large number of users unlisting MSVC2019 from Qt 6.6. Yes, I was reading the beginning of this thread and I do know that the regular maintenance of MSVC2019 ends relatively soon. Still, it is hard to ignore these numbers.

--
Vladimir