[Development] Proposal: let's change the release schedules a bit

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 13 15:59:07 CET 2023

Volker Hilsheimer via Development wrote:
> But for the release team, the busy time is shortly before, and
> significantly after the freeze. So from that perspective, having the
> feature freeze either significantly before the summer break, or
> afterwards, makes most sense. They are the ones most impacted.
>
> So, if Jani and the team believe that their work will be made easier by
> moving the feature freeze to be after the holidays, then let’s do that. If
> we find out that it causes problems that outweigh the benefits, then we
> can adjust again based on that experience.

So you think it makes sense to inconvenience dozens of developers for the
convenience of a handful release managers? Having only contributed small
patches to Qt so far, I do not have a personal preference for the release
schedule, but the way you are weighing the tradeoffs looks very odd to me.

        Kevin Kofler