[Development] API style guide: scoped enum or not?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 14 22:53:13 CEST 2023

On Wednesday, 14 June 2023 12:49:22 PDT Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> As discussed earlier. Better naming in many cases until we can depend on
> C++20 in API.

There's nothing in C++20 that would allow us to design APIs differently.

You may be thinking of C++23 "using enum" feature, which is barely supported
anywhere and doesn't help us in any way I can see. It might allow us in the
future to change our existing unscoped enums to scoped, but until then there's
little we ca do.

So this question is strictly a C++11 scoped enum one.