[Development] API style guide: scoped enum or not?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jun 15 00:41:31 CEST 2023

On Wednesday, 14 June 2023 14:26:52 PDT Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development
wrote:
> I think this should be a completely different question than the usage of
> scoped enums in new code. For instance, I'm all for scoped enums and
> against such refactoring.

The refactoring *could* be done now, but it's a massive code update and can't
be helped with macros. It would increase the size of most headers and
substantially so for qnamespace.h, which might impact compilation time.

Therefore, I oppose such a change now.

But I do support a statement of intent that in Qt 7 we want to revisit this
and change where possible. It might be a macro-enabled backwards compatible
API, or maybe we'll be able to use "using enum" by then.