[Development] Examples to be removed for Qt 6.5? Now is not too early!

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Wed Mar 1 17:22:14 CET 2023

Hi,

As part of the ongoing example revamping activity [1], we are also merging or removing some examples. Qt 6.4 shipped with close to 650 examples. That’s a lot of examples for users to navigate and grep through, and a lot of code for us to maintain and keep relevant.

Some of those were then conceptually outdated, e.g. showing how to keep the UI alive during some heavy I/O by calling processEvents, rather than by moving the I/O load into a thread, is not a good way of teaching Qt. Others involved a lot of boiler-plate code just to show how to use a very specific API in a few lines that could just as well have been in the documentation instead.

So, we have converted many examples into documentation snippets, or moved them to live on (for now) as manual tests.

If you know of any examples that teach less-than-good ways of using Qt or are generally irrelevant, and that should be retired, or merged with other examples, please suggest a change, or add a sub-task ticket to https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-108751 - we still try to get as much as possible of that cleanup done for Qt 6.5.

Thanks,
Volker

[1] https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2023-February/043602.html